Tuesday 30 November 2010

Institution

Magazines always have companies that will publish their magazines for them. This is because they can get lots of copies of the magazine printed very quickly.
 I have searched some pop magazines and found out who publishes their magazines;
  • Smash Hits Magazine. Publishing company: EMAP Metro. EMAP Metro is a British media company. They have published other magazines such as Nintendo Official Magazine.
  • Top of the Pops magazine. Publishing company: BBC Magazines. BBC Magazines published other magazines such as Girl Talk and It's Hot. BBC Magazines publishes magazines ranging from adult interests to pre-teen interests.
  • Billboard magazine. Publishing company: Prometheus Global Media. They have published magazines such as Film Journal International. They publish a range of magazines, not just music magazines.
  • Rolling Stone magazine. Publishing company: Wenner Media LLC. An American company.They've published other well known magazines such as Men's Journal and  US Weekly.

 It helps to have a big publisher because they will have all the equipment needed which helps to get copies printed quickly and also they will have a lot of money so they can advertise the product well. I think that with my magazine, I would look to BBC Magazines to publish my magazine because they have the most experience and knowledge when it comes to my target audience; they have specialized magazines for teenages and pre-teens, so I think the BBC Magazines would be the best option.
 The BBC Magazines are usually based on existing television programmes, so I think if BBC Magazines were to publish my magazine, they would make a programme to do with it. For example it could be the new Top Of The Pops or another music programme. If there is an existing programme that is to do with my magazine, this could give my magazine a bigger audience and more people would be interested in buying it.
 I think having failed that, Wenner Media LLC would be a good publisher to have. This is because they're an American based company and they'd be able to give my magazine a wider audience. So my magazine would appeal to English, Americans and other countries around the world.

1 comment:

  1. Remember that many BBC magazines are spin offs from programmes they produce. Do you envisage yours as being linked to a "new" BBC pop programme, perhaps devised to take the place of Top of The Pops? This may give it more of an audience - if people like the programme, they may be more interested in the magazine and the products could cross-promote each other??? Failing that, you may want to find an alternative producer? Add some images to break up the text?

    ReplyDelete